I know the latest Coronovirus news of Italy on ‘lockdown’ is very concerning, but we must keep calm and not panic. Let’s take a breath and be sensible. The advice from the British Wheel of Yoga is to keep an eye daily on the government websites and follow their directives. I’m sure we all agree that there is much less chance of being infected at a yoga class with a dozen people who already taking their health seriously than say at your workplace or at a supermarket. That said it’s very important to follow the first Yama – AHIMSA – ‘do no harm’ therefore…
IF YOU THINK YOU MAY BE INFECTED WITH CORONOVIRUS, HAVE A COUGH OR FLU LIKE SYMPTOMS PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM CLASSES.
You will be very welcome to make up ALL of your missed sessions at a later date.
As yogis we are already trying our best to be healthy – but here are some reminders…
- Eat a balanced diet and drink plenty of water.
- Keep up with your personal yoga practice – physical and breathing practices keep us healthy and you can do even more to keep your immune system tip top – see these exercises here.
- Be vigilant about washing your hands. Keep your phone clean. Clean your car steering wheel. Keep your keyboard/ipad. Avoid touching your face and eyes.
- Use essential oils to clear the air in your home and workplace. Eucalyptus, tea tree or lavender in a vaporiser work best. Carry an inhaler with some lavender or eucalyptus to inhale if you feel ‘surrounded’ by people coughing.
- Keep a healthy mindset. Try to relax to your favourite music or meditate. Meet with friends and have a laugh. Try to spend time with the people you love.
- Use a light therapy lamp. This time of year is the worst time for SAD. Having a boost of daylight can improve mood which in turn helps your immune system.