When the weather stays hot it can give rise to hot tempers and irrational behavior. (Are you finding this in your family too???) One of the reasons is lack of sleep, when it’s hot we can find that our bedding is not really suitable for the temperature. How many of us think ‘I must get the summer duvet out tomorrow’ but never do it? Yoga teaches us that rest and sleep are vital to our lives – so make an effort… get that summer duvet out and take your time to ensure you and your loved ones get the full 8 hours – it will make tempers less hot and frayed.
Here is a quick checklist to help you get a good nights’ sleep in the heat –
– reduce the ‘togs’ on everyone’s bed (not just your own)
– take a glass of water to bed
– practice a soothing posture before bedtime (forward bend such as this would be good)
– practice the cooling breath for about 10 rounds before bedtime
– if you wake up in the night hot and bothered then you can use the equalising breath to sooth the mind and body – breathing in for a count of 5 and out for a count of 5
Happy slumbers x