It’s really important to have some ‘me’ time – preferably on a regular basis to release the stresses and strains of our lives. Ideally you would come to a class where I prepare a calm, quiet environment with sweet fragrance and soothing sounds. But sometimes that’s just not going to happen. So setting up your yoga space at home is an important preparation – so that you are safe and enjoy the full benefits of the practice.
Here are a few ideas to get you thinking…
- Find a space that you can be in alone. If you live with others, you could suggest that they do something for themselves too. I wouldn’t encourage them to watch you or join in, it will make it difficult for you to concentrate.
- Ensure that there is enough space. 2.5m x 2.5m x 2.5m of clear space is ideal. Take a good look around for things that you may catch your fingers on (that can hurt!). Also scan the floor for any objects you may stand on or trip on. It sounds daft but I have done this lots of time.
- If you are joining one of my online groups you will need good WiFi and somewhere to prop up your device – cookery book stand, book ends may help here.
- Make sure it’s warm enough and that there are no drafts.
- Try to stick to the same time each day or each week and ensure everyone that you live with knows not to disturb you.
- Leave your phone in another room. Turn the sound off.
- If you can make a permanent yoga space – say a bedroom that won’t be used for a while. Leave your mat out and create a sanctuary with your favourite objects/yoga pictures.
- Use a diffuser to scent the air with your favourite essential oil. I use lavender in the classes, but you could use any that are relaxing like rose, ylang ylang or jasmine.
Now that you are ready, you might like to just sit and listen to a lovely version of the Gayatri Mantra to give the area a lovely yoga vibe. You can use your hand outs from class or choose from various home practice posts I’ve put on the website –
It takes dedication to keep up Yoga at home but the results are worthwhile. You can find more tips on this post here.